Resources for Granite Staters

As your Representative, I am here for you and your loved ones as we all work on navigating these unprecedented and difficult times. Below we have compiled information  as well as federal and state resources that you may find helpful.

Additionally, if you need any further assistance please reach out to my office by calling us at (603) 285-4300 or by clicking here to open a case. 

Direct cash assistance to workers and families

Congress recently passed a bipartisan economic relief bill called the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act with my support. The CARES Act provides massive federal investments in our health care system and our struggling Main Street economy. This legislation will also send billions in desperately-needed federal aid to New Hampshire families, workers and businesses.

A large piece of this economic relief law provides direct rebates to workers and families so that they can stay afloat as we navigate this public health emergency.

Here’s what you need to know:

  • Please visit the IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief web page for the latest information at The IRS asks taxpayers to visit their web page for updates instead of calling, if possible.
  • On March 30th, 2020, the IRS said the agency will work to begin distributing the rebates in three weeks. 
  • Most people will receive the payments automatically - no action will be required. For people who filed a federal income tax return in 2018 or 2019, payment processing will be based on payment or address information already on file with the IRS.​
  • If the IRS doesn’t have your direct deposit information right now, the Treasury Department has developed an online portal so that you can provide that information and get a direct deposit instead of waiting for a check in the mail.
    • The Get My Payment tool will allow users to check on the status of their payment as well as provide direct deposit information.  
  • Paper checks will be issued at a rate of about 5 million per week, meaning it could take up to 20 weeks to get all of the checks out. These checks will be issued in reverse “adjusted gross income” order—starting with people with the lowest income first.  If you’re not typically required to file a tax return, you can still receive a rebate. Please visit the IRS website for details. 
  • Social Security recipients who aren’t typically required to file a tax return will receive their payment directly in their bank account and don’t need to take any further action, according to the Secretary of the Treasury.
  • The rebate will be $1,200 for each adult individual ($2,400 for joint filers), and $500 per qualifying child under age 17.
    • Click here to read the qualifying child rules. 

    • The advance payment of rebates is reduced by $5 for every $100 of income to the extent a taxpayer’s income exceeds $150,000 for a joint filer, $112,500 for a head of household filer, and $75,000 for anyone else (including single filers)

  • For those who are not normally required to file taxes, such as those making under $12,200 per year ($24,400 for joint filers), the IRS has created a portal for you to submit your information to receive your economic impact payment. Click here to submit your information.
    • This tool is not meant for those who currently receive Social Security, SSDI, or Railroad Retirement benefits. The IRS will automatically send economic impact payments if you currently receive these benefits with no additional action necessary.
    • For more information about the portal for non-filers and what you will need to provide, please visit the IRS website.
  • The Treasury Department and the IRS began sending Economic Impact Payments (EIPs) by prepaid debit card on May 18. These cards will arrive in a plain envelope from Money Network Cardholder Services. The Visa logo appears on the front of the card and the back of the card has the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank®, N.A.

    • Taxpayers who have lost or destroyed their EIP prepaid debit card may request a free replacement through MetaBank® Customer Service. The standard fee of $7.50 will be waived for the first reissuance of any EIP card and taxpayers do not need to know their card number to request a replacement.

    • To request a replacement card, taxpayers may call 1-800-240-8100 and select option 2 from main menu, or for more information, they may visit

    • Resources and Frequently Asked Questions regarding EIPs are available via the Economic Impact Payment Information Center

Unemployment Assistance 

If you are experiencing full or partial unemployment because of COVID-19, here is what you need to know: 

  • Governor Sununu enacted Emergency Order # 5 which gives NH citizens immediate access to unemployment benefits. This applies to total and partial unemployment.

  • You can file at www.NHES.NH.GOV or call 603-271-7700. You will need to file each week and benefits will be effective the Sunday of the calendar week in which you file.

  • The CARES Act approved an additional $600 per week for all individuals filing in New Hampshire until July 31st. This includes total and partial (i.e., reduced hours) unemployment. There is nothing you need to do to access these new benefits other than continue to file your weekly claims.

  • If you are self-employed and have filed for unemployment benefits you will receive a denial message that you may ignore. You will be required to file additional documentation on your self-employment within 48 hours. 


Tax relief

Filing taxes under even normal circumstances can be difficult. But there are resources and help available to you. Here are some things you should know:

  • The Administration has moved the tax filing deadline to July 15th, 2020.

  • According to the Secretary of the Treasury, this means all taxpayers and businesses will have this additional time to file and make payments without interest or penalties.

  • According to the IRS Legislative Affairs Division, taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.

  • You can learn more at the links below: 

Additional State Resources 

Up to date information from New Hampshire’s Department of Health and Human Services can be found here. 

E-learning resources from the New Hampshire’s Department of Education can be found here

Victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault who need support, please call the condifential 24/7 New Hampshire hotline for domestic violence at 1 (866) 644-3574 and sexual assualy at 1 (866) 277-5570.

For any additional questions about the coronavirus, New Hampshire residents can also call 2-1-1, or 1 (866) 444-4211. 

How to Give Back 

Anyone looking to assist non-profits can visit 

Retired medical professionals or administrative specialists can sign up to volunteer by visiting  

Business owners with the ability and interest in helping manufacture personal protective equipment, you can learn how you can help at 

Your health and safety are of the utmost importance. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of my offices to see how we can assist you with additional questions or concerns.