Pappas Helps Pass Landmark Democracy Reform Package, “For The People” Act
Today Congressman Chris Pappas (NH-01), a co-sponsor of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, voted to pass this sweeping democracy reform legislation. This legislation takes transformative steps to clean up the culture of corruption in Washington and ensure the voices of Granite Staters are heard by fixing our broken campaign finance system, protecting the right to vote, guarding against the scourge of partisan gerrymandering, and strengthening ethics laws.
“I was proud to cast my vote today to pass this landmark bill that will strengthen our democracy,” said Congressman Pappas. “By limiting the influence of big money and corporate special interests we can put the power of our democracy back in the hands of the people. This bill provides for greater transparency and accountability, ensures members of Congress are working for their constituents and not themselves, and makes it easier—not harder—to exercise your right to vote. These crucial reforms will ensure our government is truly of, by, and for the people, and I hope the Senate will take up this legislation with great speed.”
“Throughout his time in Congress, Representative Chris Pappas has been a fierce advocate of holding self-serving politicians accountable and protecting the right to vote,” said ECU / LAV Action Fund President Tiffany Muller. “Rep. Pappas ran on a platform of cleaning up corruption in Washington and has made good on that promise by passing the For the People Act. We’re grateful to be in the fight alongside him to safeguard and strengthen our democracy.”
Key provisions of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, include:
- Expanding automatic voter registration and same-day registration.
- Strengthening vote by mail, early voting, and ballot access.
- Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression.
- Protecting elections from foreign interference.
- Fixing partisan gerrymandering.
- Promoting digital ad transparency.
- Forcing disclosure of dark money.
- Reining in lobbyist influence.
- Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials.